Friday, September 4, 2009

My Very First Fondant Cake


My sister-in-law Kjerstine taught me how to make fondant. I definitely have a LOT of room for improvement as far as fondant goes but the fondant was actually the easiest part of this cake for me. I used no name yellow cake mix and it was pretty tasty, as far as 'yellow' flavour goes. The thing is that I forgot to flour the cake pans and even though I greased them, it was hard to get the cakes out of the pans effectively. Plus, the cake was so soft and fresh that it was very delicate and hard to handle. I let it cool before I removed it but it still didn't come out very nicely. Actually, the two 9" pans came out decently but the two slightly smaller ones pretty much fell apart so instead of doing a two-tiered cake as I originally intended, I did one tier that had two layers in it. The side of the top layer fell off, so instead of doing a round one I turned it into a cake with one flat side for the 'B'. This cake was for my grandma's birthday and her name is Bea so it worked out to turn the flat side of the cake into the flat side of the 'B'. By the way, this cake was covered in a tasty pineapple buttercream icing before I did the fondant. This was a lot of fun. I'd like to play with fondant some more. Fondant is so fun and so attractive. I hope my cakes will keep getting better and better.

2 comments:

  1. Awww! Poor Kristin!! Flouring the pans is so important! Don't worry though, I made that mistake on my final cake project and ended up having to remake those cakes, so frustrating! One way to help it not be so moist so it will hold the shape better is to add flour to the cake mix or more flour if you're making it from scratch. Also I forgot to tell you I think but the magic number is 10. Only let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Too little and it falls apart, too much and it sticks so bad! And did I teach you how to tier cakes?? There is a special trick I'll have to tell you about so be glad that it didn't work out b/c there could have been a disaster! Well, we will need to chat up cakes next time we see each other but despite all your mishaps it looks great for your first cake all by yourself! GO KRISTIN!! It really is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete